A "Detecting the Victorians" class blog

Each week, one student will write a post responding to the seminar discussion by Sunday evening. All students must comment at least once each week, either responding to the original post or to a fellow student's comment.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

On Murder As One Of The Horticultural Arts.

I just wanted to share a strange thing I encountered this past weekend that made me think of our class.  On Saturday I attended the massive annual "flower show" in Philadelphia.  This year the show focused on the gardens of Britain, and everything at the convention center had an English theme.  Mixed in with massive displays depicting scenes from Beatrice Potter and tea settings made out of flower petals was a series of large pieces florally representing the crimes of Jack the Ripper.  I thought, of course, about DeQuincey and our ongoing discussion of the aesthetics of crime.  I'm posting a link below from Organic Gardening's Pintrest Page.  If you look, the first couple rows show photos of the various scenes intended to "evoke the mood of London during the time of Jack the Ripper." 

http://pinterest.com/ogmag/philadelphia-flower-show/



2 comments:

  1. Laura, those are so eerie! I think the one with the hand is creeping me out most at the moment ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura, for bringing a visual to the blog! If I were more technologically sophisticated, I'd figure out a way to make that top photo the background image for the blog. It is excellent. You would have appreciated the garden that grew in front of the bookstore at which I worked during grad school: Kate's Mystery Books in Cambridge. The garden was full of all the poisonous plants grown in North America. It was beautiful and extremely creepy.

    ReplyDelete